This is the first match at Leeds this World Cup. Going by the recent contest between England and Pakistan last month, it seems like a good pitch to smash runs. In reply to England’s mammoth target of 352 runs, Pakistan fell tantalisingly short by 54 runs. Of the 19 wickets that fell, only 5 belonged to the spinners.
Above all, the weather seems to be excellent throughout the day, with precipitation reading as low as 5%.
From Guide (last five matches):
England: W, W, W, L, W
Sri Lanka: L, W, L, W, L
When and Where:
- England vs Sri Lanka, 24th Match, ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
- Friday, June 20, 2019
- 3:00 PM IST
- Headingley Cricket Ground, Leeds
Weather, Pitch and venue stats
The wicket here is said to be suitable for the batting. Seamers might get some surprise out of this surface. Weather on the match day is expected to be sunny but with a bit of breeze.
Last ODI at this venue:
Pakistan 297/10 lost to England 351/9
England Team News:
- Jason Roy who missed the match against Afghanistan due to a hamstring injury and will not be featuring in this game as well.
- James Vince replaced Roy and opened the innings alongside J Bairstow in the previous game and they would be opening once again until Roy is recovered.
- Liam Plunkett was replaced by M Ali, let’s see if the captain prefers M Ali against Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka Team News:
- Sri Lanka dropped bowler Suranga Lakmal for all-rounder Milinda Siriwardana for the match against Australia, who failed to make any sort of impact with the bat and the ball.
- Lakmal might make his name in the list for this clash, otherwise, no changes are expected from the Lankan’s side.
Probable XI for England: Jonny Bairstow, James Vince, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan (c), Jos Buttler (wk), Ben Stokes, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Jofra Archer, Mark Wood
Probable XI for Sri Lanka: Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Perera (wk), Lahiru Thirimanne, Kusal Mendis, Angelo Mathews, Milinda Siriwardana, Thisara Perera, Dhananjaya de Silva, Isuru Udana, Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Pradeep